- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Cypriot defense minister resigns after blast kills 12
Question of the Day
MARI, Cyprus (AP) — A massive explosion ripped through a Cypriot naval base Monday after a brush fire detonated gunpowder stored in containers, killing 12 people, wounding 62 and prompting the resignations of the country’s defense minister and top military chief.
Bodies covered with white sheets lay scattered on a charred hillside near the Evangelos Florakis Naval Base on the Mediterranean island’s southern coast, while ambulances ferried the injured to hospitals in Larnaca and Limassol. The bodies of the dead where taken to a morgue at a hospital in Nicosia, the Cypriot capital.
The blast occurred in the early hours of the morning when a brush fire approached dozens of storage containers holding gunpowder that had been confiscated in 2009 from a ship heading from Iran to Syria.
With criticism mounting over how the material had been handled and stored, Defense Minister Costas Papacostas and the country’s top military official, Brig. Gen. Petros Tsalikides, who was National Guard chief, resigned over the incident.
Government spokesman Stefanos Stefanou said investigators had ruled out sabotage as a cause for the blast, but he wouldn’t elaborate further. He said experts will be called from abroad to assist police and National Guard investigators to determine the exact cause of the explosion.
Greece’s National Defense General Staff said it was sending “specialized military and security force personnel” to Cyprus to help with investigations following a Cypriot request.
Asked about concerns that the base commander reportedly had expressed fears over the safety of the gunpowder’s storage area, Mr. Stefanou said officials convened a meeting last week at the Defense Ministry to discuss the matter followed by an onsite inspection of the storage area.
He said certain decisions were made but weren’t implemented in time to prevent the incident.
Fifty of the 62 people injured were treated and released from hospitals, Mr. Stefanou said. Two of those still hospitalized suffered serious injuries.
President Dimitris Christofias asked Gen. Tsalikides and Mr. Papacostas to remain in their posts until replacements were found.
Mr. Stefanou said the government has declared a three-day mourning period, with all flags at public buildings flying at half-staff. State funerals would be held for those killed, he said.
The concussion wave from the blast damaged houses in nearby villages and knocked out the island’s main power station, leading to power cuts in several areas. Authorities appealed to the public to limit electricity consumption, which has spiked amid a three-day heatwave that has led to temperatures of about 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
Airport authorities said both Paphos and Larnaca airports were reducing power consumption to the minimum possible and had turned on their generators.
The Agriculture Ministry also urged the public to reduce water consumption as much as possible because desalination plants had been taken offline because of power problems.
The blast occurred just one day shy of the ninth anniversary of a fatal National Guard helicopter crash that killed then National Guard head Evangelos Florakis — for whom the naval base is named — and four other officers.
TWT Video Picks
It's yet another example of his lack of transparency
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly cancelled
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- Costco to re-stock Dinesh D'Souza's 'America' after public outry
- Obama bests Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper in pool match
- CARSON: Health savings accounts far better than Obamacare
- Colorado man offers Obama a toke of marijuana a Rocky Mountain 'high'
- Court orders Chicago to pay NRA's legal fees
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener