- Amnesty International says Syria guilty of war crimes for food blockade
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: ‘We are going to crush them’
- Adam Lanza’s dad: He would’ve killed me ‘in a heartbeat’
- North Korea holds election: 100% turnout, Kim Jong-un gets — 100% of vote
- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
Earthquakes goalie scores from 90-yards out
SANTA CLARA, CALIF. (AP) - Rookie goalkeeper David Bingham scored from more than 90 yards out in his professional debut as the San Jose Earthquakes beat West Bromwich Albion 2-1 in an exhibition match Tuesday.
Bingham scored after corralling an errant through pass from West Brom. The 21-year-old stepped up and unleashed a punt from the top of his own penalty box in the third minute.
The ball took one large bounce over the head of new West Brom goalkeeper Boaz Myhill, who was staring directly into a setting sun at Buck Shaw Stadium without the benefit of a hat, and bounced once more before nestling in the open net.
Its the third time an MLS goalkeeper has scored from his own half of the field in recent years. New York’s Danny Cepero scored from roughly 80 yards on a free kick against Columbus during a 2008 league match and Houston’s Tally Hall drove a kick off the ground from 80 yards straight into the net against Metapan in CONCACAF Champions League play in 2009.
Bingham, who was removed at the half as San Jose made wholesale changes, also had three saves, including an impressive one to turn aside an 18-yard blast from Thomas in the 20th minute.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Investigators puzzle: How does a 777 jetliner just disappear into thin air?
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CPAC 2014: Straw poll signals Paul-Cruz showdown
- Russia besieges Crimea as U.S. seeks diplomacy; Putin remains undeterred by Obama's sanctions
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- As Ukraine falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again