- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Day cares can’t mandate diversity
Question of the Day
It is ridiculous that a bossy Colorado state agency proposed forcing day care centers to post two or more visual displays "presenting diversity in a positive way" and to provide dolls from three different races ("Colo. proposal would impose parameters on day care centers," Web, Wednesday).
The diversity display requirement is a flagrant violation of the First Amendment. The Supreme Court's 1995 decision in the Hurley case ruled out forcing people to celebrate diversity. It ruled that a parade could not be ordered to include a homosexual-pride contingent, since compelled speech violates free speech.
Governments cannot condition licenses for day-care centers or other businesses on their giving up their free speech rights. That is forbidden by federal court rulings such as Carepartners LLP v. Lashway (2008). People cannot be punished even for criticizing "diversity." Even heated criticism of affirmative action is protected by court rulings such as Department of Corrections v. State Personnel Board (1997).
Competitive Enterprise Institute
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Democrats reveal an identity crisis by pretending to be what they're not
Get Breaking Alerts
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- TRACCI: Six steps to end the border crisis
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- EDITORIAL: The faux farmer in the Senate race in Iowa
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: How many boondoggles to break the bank?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The problem is unenforced borders
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Where are condolences for Jewish teens' deaths?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama welcomes illegals, ignores Americans
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama has no intention of repatriating illegals