Continued from page 1

A former News of the World reporter, Sean Hoare, who helped blow the whistle on the scandal, was found dead Monday in his home. Police said the death was “unexplained” but is not being treated as suspicious. A post-mortem was being conducted Tuesday. Mr. Hoare was in his late 40s.

Mrs. Brooks‘ spokesman, David Wilson, said police had been handed a bag containing a laptop and papers that belong to her husband, former racehorse trainer Charlie Brooks. Mr. Wilson said the bag did not contain anything related to the phone-hacking scandal and he expected police to return it soon.

The bag was found dumped in an underground parking lot near the couple’s home on Monday, but it was unclear how exactly it got there. Mr. Wilson said Tuesday that a friend of Mr. Brooks‘ had meant to drop off the bag, but he would say only that he left it in the “wrong place.”

Mr. Murdoch shut down the News of the World tabloid that Mrs. Brooks once edited after it was accused of hacking into the voice mail of celebrities, politicians, other journalists and even murder victims. Still, the closure has done little to end a string of revelations about the murky ties between British politics and the country’s tabloid media.

The scandal has prompted the resignation and subsequent arrest of Mrs. Brooks and the resignation of Wall Street Journal Publisher Les Hinton, sunk Mr. Murdoch’s dream of taking full control of lucrative satellite broadcaster British Sky Broadcasting, and raised questions about his ability to keep control of his global media empire.

Mr. Murdoch is eager to stop the crisis from spreading to the United States, where many of his most lucrative assets — including the Fox TV network, 20th Century Fox film studio, the Wall Street Journal and the New York Post — are based.

In New York, News Corp. appointed commercial lawyer Anthony Grabiner to run its Management and Standards Committee, which will deal with the scandal. But News Corp. board member Thomas Perkins told the Associated Press that the 80-year-old Mr. Murdoch has the full support of the company’s board of directors and that it was not considering elevating Chief Operating Officer Chase Carey to replace Mr. Murdoch as CEO of News Corp.

News Corp.’s widely traded Class A shares fell 68 cents to $14.97 Monday — down 17 percent since the scandal reignited on July 4.

Britain’s Independent Police Complaints Commission also is looking into the phone-hacking and police-bribery claims, including one that Assistant Commissioner Yates inappropriately helped get a job for Mr. Wallis‘ daughter. Mr. Wallis, who was hired as a public relations consultant to the police, has been arrested on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications.

London police also confirmed that they once employed a second former News of the World employee besides Mr. Wallis. Alex Marunchak was employed as a Ukrainian language interpreter with access to highly sensitive police information between 1980 and 2000, the Metropolitan Police said.

The police force said it recognized “that this may cause concern and that some professions may be incompatible with the role of an interpreter,” adding that the matter will be looked into.

Meanwhile, Internet hackers took aim at Mr. Murdoch late Monday, defacing the sites of his other U.K. tabloid, the Sun, and shutting down website of the Times of London. Visitors to the Sun website were redirected to a page featuring a story saying Mr. Murdoch‘s dead body had been found in his garden.

Internet hacking collective Lulz Security took responsibility for that hacking attack via Twitter, calling it a successful part of “Murdoch Meltdown Monday.”

Lulz Security, which previously has claimed hacks on major entertainment companies, FBI partner organizations and the CIA, hinted that more was yet to come, saying, “This is only the beginning.”

It later took credit for shutting down News International’s corporate website. Another hacking collective known as Anonymous claimed the cyberattack on the Times’ website.