- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Capitals sign G Tomas Vokoun to 1-yr, $1.5M deal
Question of the Day
Vokoun signed a one-year contract worth $1.5 million Saturday, adding some veteran insurance to a team that appeared ready to cast its lot with youngsters Michal Neuvirth and Braden Holtby in its push for the Stanley Cup.
Capitals general manager George McPhee had indicated on Friday that he would be content to let the 23-year-old Neuvirth and the 21-year-old Holtby battle for the starting job next season. Washington traded its other up-and-coming goalie, Semyon Varlamov, to the Colorado Avalanche on Friday.
But Vokoun’s contract is a relative bargain, especially for a two-time All-Star who has played 13 NHL seasons.
“We are excited to add an elite veteran goaltender to the Capitals,” McPhee said in a statement. “We now have a nice blend of talent, depth, experience and youth in the goaltending position.”
Vokoun, 34, has played for Montreal, Nashville and Florida, spending the last four seasons with the Panthers. He was 22-28-5 with a 2.55 goals-against average in 57 games last season and is tied for the best save percentage (.922) in the NHL since the 2005-06 season
He also led the Czech national team to a gold medal at the 2010 world championships and has represented his county twice at the Olympics.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq