- ‘Fact-Checker’ blog takes on Dems for their comments on Hobby Lobby decision
- Babe Ruth’s 1918 contract sells for $1.02M at auction
- Citigroup settles subprime mortgage case for $7B
- Archie to be shot saving gay friend in comic book
- Sen. John McCain on illegal child immigrants: Fly them home, now
- Pope Francis puts number of priestly pedophiles at 2 percent: report
- Oregonians flee in face of fast-moving wildfire as homes go up in blaze
- Eric Holder: ‘Racial animus’ fuels opposition to Obama and me
- Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl to return to active duty at Fort Sam Houston
- Israel says it’s downed drone along southern coast
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: On VAWA amendment, Poe is right
Question of the Day
I applaud Rep. Ted Poe, Texas Republican and a member of the House Judiciary Committee, for his courage to speak his conscience (“Rep. Poe looks to have VAWA rewritten as gender neutral,” Web, Blogs Water Cooler, Thursday).
Arrayed against his correct perspective will be all the usual suspects who have been deriving massive power and personal financial gain based on false premises and at huge taxpayer expense. At a minimum, these will include all feminist organizations, the anti-domestic-violence industry and the divorce industry, including divorce lawyers, family court judges, psychologists, custody evaluators, supervised visitation staff and the large child-support collection industry.
In our current economic times and with the need to reduce government waste, Mr. Poe’s views are an idea whose time has come - not only to save money, but more importantly, to spend it wisely on those who truly need it. I wish that I lived in his district. He would get my vote.
GORDON E. FINLEY
Emeritus professor of psychology
Florida International University
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
Get Breaking Alerts
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Eric Holder: 'Racial animus' fuels opposition to Obama and me
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi formerly a U.S. captive
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Obama's 'blank check' rejected as border solution
- Defense Dept.: Contracting personnel may be wasting billions due to FAR regulation confusion
- Inside the Beltway: White House grade slips to 'F'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: How many boondoggles to break the bank?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The problem is unenforced borders
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Where are condolences for Jewish teens' deaths?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama welcomes illegals, ignores Americans
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama has no intention of repatriating illegals