- Sen. Rand Paul: ‘I am seriously thinking about’ running for president in 2016
- Sleet, ice, deepfreeze hit large swath of U.S.
- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: On VAWA amendment, Poe is right
I applaud Rep. Ted Poe, Texas Republican and a member of the House Judiciary Committee, for his courage to speak his conscience (“Rep. Poe looks to have VAWA rewritten as gender neutral,” Web, Blogs Water Cooler, Thursday).
Arrayed against his correct perspective will be all the usual suspects who have been deriving massive power and personal financial gain based on false premises and at huge taxpayer expense. At a minimum, these will include all feminist organizations, the anti-domestic-violence industry and the divorce industry, including divorce lawyers, family court judges, psychologists, custody evaluators, supervised visitation staff and the large child-support collection industry.
In our current economic times and with the need to reduce government waste, Mr. Poe’s views are an idea whose time has come - not only to save money, but more importantly, to spend it wisely on those who truly need it. I wish that I lived in his district. He would get my vote.
GORDON E. FINLEY
Emeritus professor of psychology
Florida International University
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- Craigslist killers: Police say newlyweds stabbed man for thrills
- Dick Cheney: Family feud over gay marriage has been 'dealt with'