- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
D.C. Council’s Wells latest to call for Thomas resignation
Mr. Wells, Ward 6, Democrat, says it is not easy to ask Mr. Thomas, Ward 5 Democrat, to step down, but feels it is necessary after he agreed on Friday to repay $300,000 to the District in a settlement agreement with D.C. Attorney General Irv Nathan.
“Although in my conversation with Council member Thomas about the settlement he continued to deny any wrongdoing, he offered no explanation for the diversion of $300,000,” Mr. Wells said. “In fact, he has not refuted the facts laid out by the attorney general in the civil complaint beyond asserting that they ‘are not true.’ We need better than that from public officials who oversee a city budget of more than $10 billion.”
Mr. Wells said Ward 5 residents deserve effective representation beyond at-large members. Mr. Thomas has been stripped of his committee chairmanship and faces reduced political clout, And the council needs to “begin the difficult process of restoring public confidence in our government and its leaders, and Mr. Thomas‘ resignation is the first step,” Mr. Wells said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tom Howell Jr. covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Uninsured rates lower in states that embraced Obamacare
- Pelosi to speak at Bard commencement, Bachmann at Oral Roberts
- Minnesota the latest to employ Deloitte to fix Obamacare tech issues
- Law firm that cleared N.J. Gov. Christie in 'Bridgegate' gave 10K to RGA, which he heads
- New debate: Should Congress use technology to spend less time in D.C.?
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.