- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Candidate bidding for Johnson’s PG council seat
Question of the Day
A Prince George’s man who lost to County Council member Leslie Johnson in last year’s Democratic primary announced Thursday he will run for her soon-to-be-vacated seat.
Derrick Leon Davis, a former county schools employee, said he will run to replace Johnson who pleaded guilty last month to witness- and evidence-tampering charges.
Johnson initially said she would stay in office until her scheduled Sept. 15 sentencing — as state law allows — but announced this month under pressure from colleagues that she will step down July 31.
The county must hold a yet-to-be-scheduled primary election 45 to 60 days after her departure, followed by a general election within 90 days of July 31.
Mr. Davis placed second in last year’s primary with nearly 32 percent of votes. Johnson won with nearly 41 percent, then ran unopposed in the general election.
Mr. Davis is one of at least three candidates from the primary to express interest in replacing Johnson, joining Venus Bethea and Arthur Turner. Mr. Turner received an endorsement this month from former Council member Samuel H. Dean, who preceded Johnson and was forced out by term limits.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Hill joined The Washington Times in February 2011 as a Maryland political reporter. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Md. drivers could face eventual doubling of gas tax
- Federal appeals court restores Maryland's concealed carry law
- Md. bill would end student suspensions for mimicking gun behavior
- Maryland Senate passes bill decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana
- Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell assailed on transportation
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq