- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
- Chambliss: Downed jet ultimately goes back to Putin
- Perdue strategy: Run against Reid, Obama, Pelosi
- White House: More changes to contraception mandate coming
- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
- Oregon vandals smear cars with doughnuts, pastries, chocolate bars
- Obama’s ‘Katrina moment’ leaves his favorability factor at 42 percent
- Feds tout nearly 200 arrests, $625K in seized cash in Texas border crackdown
49ers cut ties with center Heitmann, kicker Nedney
Question of the Day
The team made the announcement ahead of its first practice under new coach Jim Harbaugh scheduled for the afternoon.
The 31-year-old Heitmann was placed on season-ending injured reserve last November in his ninth NFL season because of a neck injury that wasn’t healing as quickly as the Niners had hoped. He later underwent offseason surgery.
When he went on IR, Heitmann hadn’t played at all in 2010 after breaking the fibula in his left leg early in training camp last Aug. 9. He was expected to miss up to two months and returned to practice Sept. 29. David Baas took his place on the starting offensive line.
“Eric gave nine tremendous years of service to the franchise and the Bay Area community,” 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said. “As a leader in our locker room, he epitomized what the 49ers strive to achieve.”
Baas is now gone, departed to the New York Giants, so Harbaugh has some decisions to make on an O-line that features leader Joe Staley and returning 2010 first-round draft picks Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati after both started every game as rookies.
Adam Snyder is slated to move into the center position to fill the void left by Heitmann.
“He’s going to do a great job,” wide receiver Josh Morgan said. “He’s been practicing side by side with Eric ever since I’ve been here. He knows everything he needs to do.”
Before his injuries last year, Heitmann had started every game at center each of the previous three seasons. The Stanford product played 14 games there in 2006 before breaking his right leg, needing surgery and missing the final two games.
Nedney made 28 of 34 field goals the past two seasons, ending each on injured reserve. The 38-year-old left-footed kicker had been bothered by knee injuries, although he was hopeful about signing with San Francisco under Harbaugh when he came to one of the team’s informal workouts this summer.
“Joe is a consummate pro in every sense,” Baalke said. “As a player, no word better describes him than ‘clutch.’ Having grown up in the Bay Area, he is a great ambassador for the 49ers.”
Akers is coming off consecutive Pro Bowl seasons, and showed no signs of slowing down last year at age 36 by setting a career high with 23 touchbacks. But the Eagles drafted kicker Alex Henery in the fourth round, making Akers expendable.
Philadelphia had placed the transition tag on Akers before the NFL lockout, but that became invalid under the new labor agreement.
Akers has connected on 81.9 percent of his field goals and 98.7 percent of his extra points. He was cut by three teams before signing with the Eagles in 1999.
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq