- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
Redskins’ Shanahan so confident in Beck, Grossman he puts ‘reputation’ on the line
Head coach also speaks about the departures of McNabb, Haynesworth
Question of the Day
“You got two guys who are 27 years old, natural leaders, and that’s, to me, how you build a football team. You build it up front,” Shanahan said. “It starts with that defensive line and that offensive line. We’ve got a couple young guys that, I believe, our future captains, guys that can lead and play well.”
“I believe we’re four or five deep on each side and I’m looking forward to seeing who takes advantage of the opportunity,” he said.
• Shanahan slept at Redskins Park on Thursday night as he tried to keep up with the craziness of all the NFL business crammed into this post-lockout period. He joked that he charged his $200 rollout bed to owner Daniel Snyder.
“It’s been quite hectic, but it’s been the same for everybody in the league, so it’s quite fair,” he said.
Notes: Safeties LaRon Landry (left Achilles’) and Kareem Moore (knee) and linebacker Robert Henson (knee) were placed on the physically unable to perform list. They can come off at any time, but Shanahan put no timetable on their return.
First-round pick Ryan Kerrigan missed the afternoon walkthrough after hyperextending his knee. He suffered a bone bruise. An MRI revealed no serious damage. He could miss a couple of days, Shanahan said.
The Redskins will vote Saturday whether to recertify the union, Vonnie Holliday, the NFL Players Association player representative said. Holliday believes a ‘yes’ vote by all players is a formality.
Veteran inside linebacker H.B. Blades is nearing a new one-year contract with the Redskins, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson: Gays 'wont inherit the kingdom of God'
- Prevention of school massacre shoots down arguments for Colorado gun control laws
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- CARUSO: Driving off Russian aggression with U.S. natural gas
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Lists of top ten movies, songs, funny moments, fashion statements, automobiles, children's names, stupid celebrity moments, first dates, last dates, weddings, and much, much more.
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow