- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
McDonnell mostly a stay-at-home governor
Travel records show Va. governor is not a frequent flyer
Question of the Day
Still, the comparison can only go so far, considering serving as vice chairman of a governors association is usually considered a less demanding role than leading a political party. For Mr. McDonnell, the position could give him a way to raise a national profile without demanding excessive time away from his duties as governor.
While Mr. McDonnell shot down speculation last fall that he was intending to run for president, questions remain about his ambitions after his term is complete in 2013. And there remains the possibility of being selected next year as running mate of the GOP presidential nominee.
Democrat strategist Paul Goldman called Mr. McDonnell the “leading choice” of vice president for nearly any of the current GOP candidates. The governor has in his favor his popularity, his Catholicism, his military background and, most of all, the fact that he’s from a crucial swing state, Mr. Goldman said.
“He is perfectly situated for a Bachmann, for a Romney, for a Pawlenty,” Mr. Goldman said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- A familiar fading feeling for McMahon in Connecticut
- Romney’s bid to undo health law faces hurdles
- Hill GOP presses Medicare probe
- Outsiders abide by rules in Brown-Warren race
- Iran talks not set up, Obama’s camp says
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- DCCC raising money on suggestion Obama impeachment is imminent
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq