- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Diet guru Dukan loses libel case against rival
Question of the Day
PARIS (AP) - French nutritionist Pierre Dukan, whose protein-rich diets are popular from Hollywood to Paris, lost in court Tuesday against a rival he accused of libel _ and was fined himself.
Dukan had filed a legal complaint against another diet doctor, Jean-Michel Cohen, who criticized Dukan's method in a magazine.
A Paris court ruled Tuesday that there was nothing libelous about Cohen's comments, and ordered Dukan to pay euro3,000 ($4,300) in damages for "abusive procedure."
Cohen said in a June 2010 magazine article that among some patients, the Dukan method could create "serious health problems such as high cholesterol, cardiovascular ailments and breast cancer."
Dukan issued a statement Tuesday defending the safety of his diet, saying he has 24 million followers and that Cohen "appears to have taken umbrage at the wave of enthusiasm for the Dukan phenomenon."
Dukan's book was France's best-selling publication last year and is on multiple U.S. best-seller lists, counting Hollywood and music stars among its devotees.
"It is not because you are a good businessman, a good communicator often on the covers of magazines that you can escape from a legitimate scientifically based critique," said Cohen's lawyer Richard Malka outside court. "What is essential is the safety of the patients and not the touchiness of the doctors."
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors