- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Police chief among nominees confirmed in P.G.
Magaw fills out command staff
Despite his familiarity with the county and experience with the department, Mr. Baker joked that when he initially discussed potential candidates for the appointment with Chief Magaw, “the first thing he did was give me everyone’s name but his.”
Along with Chief Magaw’s official appointment, police officials say two other leadership positions within the department will be made permanent. Majs. Dwayne Preston and Craig Howard will be appointed as two of the department’s four deputy chiefs, said current Deputy Chief Kevin Davis, who will also retain his position.
“The police department can only function when we have the community’s trust,” he said, pledging that he would “not allow it to be violated.”
The council on Tuesday also confirmed Thomas M. Himler as head of the county’s Office of Management and Budget and Gail D. Francis to lead the Office of Finance.
Mr. Baker said the nominees “bring a wealth of experience, dedication and talent” to their jobs.
The confirmations were unanimous.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Andrea Noble is a crime and public safety reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Prosecutors: Gray had firsthand knowledge of 'shadow campaign'
- Natural gas prices rise for D.C. customers as temperatures drop
- Released from hospital, Marion Barry reflects on his health and political career
- Montgomery County matches homicide total from 2013
- Council member introduces bill to regulate D.C. party promoters
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again