- Russia sends bombers on 24-hour Arctic patrol
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gays
- Houston dad kills boy, 17, in daughter’s room in mistaken ID tragedy
- Rep. David Jolly ready to work with Democrats on compromise
- Joe Biden: I can’t be president — my golf would suffer
- German authorities grab suspected hardline Islamist
- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
- Obama economy: Rich get richer, as millionaires’ list grows
- Army’s ‘Most Wanted’ fugitive on lam since 1977 nabbed in Florida
- ‘Seinfeld’-loving fraudsters busted on ID theft — of Eric Holder
Barenboim to stay 10 more years at Berlin opera
The Israeli-Argentinian conductor has been in the role since 1992.
Wowereit said the city’s new contract for the 68-year-old would take effect when his current one expires at the end of the month.
The famous opera’s 19th-century home on Unter den Linden boulevard in what used to be East Berlin is currently under construction and will reopen at the beginning of the 2014-2015 season.
The Staatsoper has moved across town to the Schiller Theater during the restoration work.
It’s one of three major opera houses in the German capital.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- BRUCE: The power of 'bossy'
- U.S.: Malaysia plane's on-board communications purposely shut down
- PRUDEN: Sink sank own campaign in Florida special election
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014