- Kerry warns of ‘very serious’ response to Crimea-Russia alliance
- Fla. Rep. Alan Grayson’s wife drops restraining order against him
- McDonald’s lawsuits filed over wages ‘stolen’ like Hamburglar steals Big Macs
- HUMPHRIES: Fight like a Democrat – An open letter to Sen. Mitch McConnell
- Florida board member shocks with ‘Heil Hitler’ salute at town meeting
- Bill O’Reilly, Chris Matthews inducted into Irish America Hall of Fame
- Military given ‘execute order’ by Obama for secret cyber mission in June
- College group’s diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Cops: 2 shoot up heroin as kids play at McDonald’s
- Drug charges against husband of Va. daycare owner
Germany confident ahead of WCup quarters
The Germans still face a tough task against fourth-ranked Japan in Wolfsburg on Saturday.
“I don’t think I’ll be playing from the start,” the 33-year-old striker said.
Prinz is hoping to become the first player to score in five World Cups, but said she placed herself “under too much pressure.”
German chancellor Angela Merkel made a surprise visit to the squad at their team hotel on Wednesday, when she told the players of the “terrific enthusiasm in the country” and to “stick together and continue to believe in yourselves.”
Germany had expected to meet the U.S. in the semifinals on July 13, but Sweden’s 2-1 win over the Americans on Wednesday ensured the Scandinavians finished top of Group C, and left its opponents facing a showdown with the team led by five-time FIFA world player of the year Marta.
“We think the road to the World Cup’s top podium is going to be difficult,” Amy Wambach of the U.S. said. “That’s kind of been our journey so far, so why change things now?”
One notable absentee from the quarterfinal lineup is Norway, who failed to reach the knock out round for the first time after losing 2-1 to Australia on Wednesday.
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- Cops: 2 shoot up heroin as kids play at McDonald's
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- Details on ships, planes searching for missing jet
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again