- Obama hosting annual Easter Egg Roll
- Big Bang a big question for most Americans: Poll
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Supreme Court declines to hear challenge to N.J. gun law
- Sharyl Attkisson: Media Matters ‘clearly targeted me’
- Sherpas consider boycott after Everest avalanche
- Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch on Obamacare: ‘We will lose seats’ this November
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: National Park Service has failed the Mall
Three cheers to The Washington Times for running John Akridge III’s op-ed calling attention to the staggering embarrassment that the Mall has become (“Our embarrassing National Mall,” Commentary, Monday).
Overrun with vagrants, dirt, trash, concrete jersey walls, chain-link barriers, trenching, idling buses, endless road construction and white vans hawking cheap souvenirs, the Mall is a distressing shambles, a chaotic jumble of ugliness and neglect. Who the devil is in charge of this shameful mess? Who can we fire for allowing it to happen?
President John F. Kennedy had a vision for Pennsylvania Avenue (like it or not) that was realized long after his tragic death, largely because of the tenacity of the late Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, New York Democrat. Today, the pitiful condition of the Mall confirms that the National Park Service is not up to the job of keeping the space beautiful. It positively begs for benefactors - public or private - with vision, tenacity and leadership skills. Does anyone know where those people are?
RICHARD J. DOUGLAS
College Park, Md.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Building a D.C. memorial for an endless war bumps into regulations
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds