- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: National Park Service has failed the Mall
Question of the Day
Three cheers to The Washington Times for running John Akridge III’s op-ed calling attention to the staggering embarrassment that the Mall has become (“Our embarrassing National Mall,” Commentary, Monday).
Overrun with vagrants, dirt, trash, concrete jersey walls, chain-link barriers, trenching, idling buses, endless road construction and white vans hawking cheap souvenirs, the Mall is a distressing shambles, a chaotic jumble of ugliness and neglect. Who the devil is in charge of this shameful mess? Who can we fire for allowing it to happen?
President John F. Kennedy had a vision for Pennsylvania Avenue (like it or not) that was realized long after his tragic death, largely because of the tenacity of the late Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, New York Democrat. Today, the pitiful condition of the Mall confirms that the National Park Service is not up to the job of keeping the space beautiful. It positively begs for benefactors - public or private - with vision, tenacity and leadership skills. Does anyone know where those people are?
RICHARD J. DOUGLAS
College Park, Md.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
- White House improvises again on patchy Obamacare rollout
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
- GOP Rep. Tim Murphy rolls out mental health legislation