- California bans full-contact football practices in off-season
- Thune: Downed fighter jets show more evidence of separatist capabilities
- Obama tells DNC fundraising crowd: ‘I’m not overly partisan’
- Chambliss: Downed jet ultimately goes back to Putin
- Perdue strategy: Run against Reid, Obama, Pelosi
- White House: More changes to contraception mandate coming
- ‘Operation Normandy’ set to send 3,500 volunteers to border to ‘stop an invasion’
- Netanyahu’s spokesman: Safe to fly to Israel
- Oregon vandals smear cars with doughnuts, pastries, chocolate bars
- Obama’s ‘Katrina moment’ leaves his favorability factor at 42 percent
Question of the Day
Jim Hoey (1-2) finished the ninth for the win.
Rangers starter Derek Holland gave up a solo shot in the second inning to Delmon Young and a three-run homer to Michael Cuddyer in the fifth to the back of the bullpen measured at 443 feet.
Josh Hamilton and Nelson Cruz hit long homers for Texas.
White Sox 9, Athletics 4
CHICAGO (AP) _ Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko hit two-run homers and Chicago spoiled Oakland interim manager Bob Melvin’s debut, handing the Athletics their 10th straight loss.
Melvin replaced Bob Geren earlier in the day.
Mark Buehrle (6-4) threw seven strong innings and improved to 5-1 with a 3.00 ERA in his last seven starts. He allowed seven hits and three runs.
Trevor Cahill (6-4) lasted just 2 2-3 innings, his shortest outing of the season.
Royals 3, Blue Jays 2
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) _ Jeff Francoeur drove in two runs, helping Luke Hochevar win for the first time in seven starts, and Kansas City survived Joakim Soria’s shaky ninth to beat Toronto.
Soria, reclaiming the closer role he lost May 30 after back-to-back blown saves, loaded the bases in the ninth but got his eighth save in 13 opportunities.
Hochevar (4-6) allowed two runs in the fourth but nothing else in seven innings. Ricky Romero (5-6) pitched an eight-inning complete game for Toronto.
(This version CORRECTS Corrects to 4th inning in 5th paragraph.)
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- HURT: The cost of 'free' water in Detroit
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq