- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
Mental health patient prompts D.C. police barricade situation
Question of the Day
A mental health patient who locked himself inside a bathroom with a sharp object prompted a barricade in Northwest on Tuesday, Metropolitan police said.
Streets around the intersection of 16th and Irving streets were closed down, snarling traffic in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood Tuesday afternoon.
"They are dealing with a violent person at this point," said MPD spokeswoman Officer Tisha Gant initially of the situation.
Third District Cmdr. Jacob Kishter later confirmed that a caretaker had made a home visit to check on a patient when the man became agitated and entered a bathroom with a sharp object, refusing to come out.
Around 5:30 p.m., the D.C. Fire and EMS Department reported the man was being transported in a medic unit with a police escort. No information was available on whether the man sustained any injuries.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Andrea Noble is a crime and public safety reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- Term limits still in question after 22 years in Prince George's County
- ACLU slams Gray on issues of transparency
- D.C. police quietly prepping for change in law on marijuana
- Council overrides mayor's veto of fiscal 2015 budget
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- ISIL captured 52 U.S.-made howitzers; artillery weapons cost 500K each
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq