- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Freak lightning storm kills 1, injures 7 on California beach
- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
Police arrest 2 men near home of singer Joss Stone
Question of the Day
LONDON (AP) - Two men have been arrested near Joss Stone’s home on suspicion of conspiracy to rob and murder, after reportedly being found in a car with swords, rope, a body bag and plans of the soul singer’s secluded house.
Stone said in a statement that she was “absolutely fine and getting on with life as normal” as police charged the men with conspiracy to commit robbery and conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm.
Devon and Cornwall Police said Junior Bradshaw, 30, and Kevin Liverpool, 33, both from the Manchester area of northwest England, were arrested Monday morning near Stone’s house in Cullompton, 175 miles (280 kilometers) southwest of London, after residents reported a suspicious-looking vehicle.
Detective Inspector Steve Parker said the men “had in their possession information relating to an individual in the Cullompton area and items which lead us to suspect that they may have intended to commit a criminal offense.”
The force would not confirm a report in The Sun newspaper that the men had swords, rope and a body bag, as well as maps and aerial photos of Stone’s property.
Parker said it was “important to stress that no properties have been burgled and no individuals have been harmed.”
Two police officers stood guard Wednesday outside the gates to the house, which is on a quiet country road.
Stone’s London publicists, DWL, said the singer was aware of the arrests and was being kept up to date by the police.
They would not say whether 24-year-old Stone was at home when the men were arrested.
Stone came to fame in 2003 as a small-town teenager with a big, soulful voice, showcased on her best-selling debut album “The Soul Sessions” and hit singles including “Fell In Love With A Boy.”
She won a Grammy Award in 2007 in the R&B category for her collaboration with John Legend and Van Hunt on a cover of Sly and the Family Stone’s “Family Affair,” and is a member of rock supergroup Super Heavy with Rolling Stone Mick Jagger, reggae scion Damian Marley and Dave Stewart of Eurythmics.
She has also taken acting roles, including that of Henry VIII’s fourth wife, Anne of Cleves, in the TV drama “The Tudors.”
With a fortune estimated last month by the Sunday Times Rich List at 9 million pounds ($14.6 million), she still lives in the rural southwestern county of Devon where she was raised.
She is a friend of Prince William and was a guest at his wedding to Kate Middleton in April.
Stone is due to start a European tour in July.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's trial to test definitions of political corruption
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq