Asked how much the end of the penalty would change his driving, Busch said “zero.”
“It didn’t matter being on it or being off it,” he said Friday before practice for Sunday’s race at Michigan International Speedway. “I try to race the best I can each and every week, as hard as I can and as clean as I can.”
The two drivers, fined and disciplined for a run-in after the May 7 race at Darlington, were again told to cool it last week at Pocono. Harvick said afterward that he wanted Busch to know he had one coming.
“Fine with me,” Busch said. “It’s not my problem. I race my racecar, he drives his. You saw how I raced.”
The two have not spoken to each other since NASCAR sat them down before the May 15 race at Dover. Their trailers were parked next to each other Friday morning because placement is determined by Sprint Cup points standings.
Harvick seemed to back off his threat when he spoke to reporters.
“A lot of these things, you go out on the racetrack and things happen and you do what you think is right at the right time,” he said.
NASCAR fined the drivers $25,000 each and placed them on probation for an altercation following the Darlington race. The two made contact during the race and Harvick wrecked with teammate Clint Bowyer.
Defending Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson said fans won’t be the only ones watching for continued fireworks between the two.
“I have no idea what’s going to happen,” he said, “but I’m sure we’ll all be very entertained.”