- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
The List: Father-and-daughter movie stars
Father-and-daughter acting stars Ryan and Tatum are back together after being estranged more than 25 years. The O'Neals will star in a new docu-series called "Ryan and Tatum: The O'Neals" on OWN TV, the Oprah Winfrey Network, on Sunday. This week the List looks at other father-and-daughter movie stars.
- Ryan and Tatum O'Neal — Ryan and Tatum starred together in the 1973 film "Paper Moon," for which Tatum won an Academy Award, becoming the youngest person to win a competitive Oscar, at the age of 10. Ryan found fame in the 1970 romantic film "Love Story," for which he earned an Oscar nomination as best actor. After years of family dysfunction, drug use and arrests, the two stars say they are ready to bring their family back together.
- Henry and Jane Fonda — Jane won two Academy Awards. They starred together in 1982's "On Golden Pond," for which Henry won his first Academy Award for best actor. Jane accepted the Oscar on her dad's behalf, as he was ill and homebound. He died five months later.
- Jon Voight and Angelina Jolie — Jon won an Academy Award for his role in the 1978 film "Coming Home." His daughter Angelina Jolie, from his marriage to Marcheline Bertrand, won an Academy Award for best supporting actress for her performance in the 1999 drama "Girl, Interrupted."
- Michael Redgrave and daughters Vanessa and Lynn — Redgrave was a noted British stage and film actor best known for 1951's "The Browning Version" and 1955's "Dam Busters." His daughter Vanessa eclipsed him in fame, earning six Academy Award nominations and winning the Oscar for best supporting actress in 1971's "Julia." Her late sister Lynn won an Academy Award nomination for 1966's "Georgy Girl" and 1998's "Gods and Monsters."
- Robert and Elizabeth Montgomery — Robert won an Oscar nomination as a psychopath in the 1937 chiller "Night Must Fall." He became known on television for "Robert Montgomery Presents," an American dramatic television series shown on by NBC from 1950-57. His daughter Elizabeth found fame in her role as Samantha Stephens in the ABC situation comedy "Bewitched," which ran for eight years, from 1964-72.
- Ron and Bryce Dallas Howard — "Happy Days" star Ron Howard won an Oscar for directing the 2001 film "A Beautiful Mind." His daughter Bryce made her acting debut in her father's 1989 movie "Parenthood" and then found fame in the 2007 film "Spider-Man 3" and 2010's "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."
- Edgar and Candice Bergen — Edgar was an American actor and radio performer best known as a ventriloquist with his dummy, Charlie McCarthy. His daughter, Candice, starred in numerous movies such as 1971's "Carnal Knowledge" and 1975's "The Wind and the Lion" but found widespread fame as the title character on the situation comedy "Murphy Brown" (1988-98), for which she won five Emmy Awards and two Golden Globe Awards.
- Paul and Mira Sorvino — Paul's most notable roles have been in the 1990 gangster film "Goodfellas" and for playing Sgt. Phil Cerreta on the TV series "Law & Order." His daughter Mira won the Academy Award for best supporting actress for her performance in Woody Allen's "Mighty Aphrodite" (1995). Mira, a Harvard graduate, is also known for playing Romy White in "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" (1997).
- John and Juliet and Hayley Mills — John made more than 120 films and won an Academy Award for best supporting actor in "Ryan's Daughter" (1970). He starred in several films alongside his daughter Hayley, notably "Pollyanna" (1960) and the 1961 family comedy "The Parent Trap." His older daughter, Juliet, is also an actress and is best known for her role in the TV show "Nanny and the Professor" (1970-71).
- Tony Curtis and Jamie Lee Curtis — Tony made more than 100 films, with his most famous being 1959's "Some Like It Hot," starring Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe. His daughter Jamie Lee, from his marriage to his first wife, Janet Leigh, carved out her own acting career, garnering the title "scream queen" for her roles in "Halloween" (1978) and "Prom Night" (1980). She later won accolades for her role in the 1988 film "A Fish Called Wanda" and 1994's "True Lies."
- Bruce and Laura Dern — Bruce appeared in more than 80 feature films and made-for-TV movies and received an Oscar nomination for supporting actor in the 1978 film "Coming Home." Daughter Laura, from his marriage to ex-wife Diane Ladd, starred in "Jurassic Park" (1993) and received an Academy Award nomination for best actress in the 1991 film "Rambling Rose."
- Joel and Jennifer Grey — Joel Grey won the Academy Award for best actor in a supporting role for his portrayal of Master of Ceremonies in the 1972 musical "Caberet." His daughter Jennifer came to fame for her roles in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986) and "Dirty Dancing" (1987). In 2010 she was the winner in season 11 of "Dancing With the Stars."
Compiled by John Haydon
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.