- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay comments
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
A year after near-miss, no Galarraga-Joyce reunion
Question of the Day
Exactly a year after a missed call cost him a perfect game, there was no reunion between pitcher Armando Galarraga and umpire Jim Joyce.
There won't ever be one, in fact, on a big league field while they're both still active.
Major League Baseball put a rule into effect this season that Joyce cannot umpire any games in which Galarraga's team plays. The edict came after Galarraga and Joyce co-authored a book about that infamous game in Detroit last June 2.
Joyce called Cleveland's Jason Donald safe at first base on what would've been the final out. After the Tigers won, Joyce apologized to Galarraga for getting it wrong.
The next day, Galarraga presented the Tigers' lineup card to a teary-eyed Joyce at home plate before the game at Comerica Park.
Galarraga was traded from Detroit to Arizona in the offseason. He went 3-4 with a 5.91 ERA in eight starts before the Diamondbacks sent him to Triple-A Reno last month.
MLB has previously put special rules into effect regarding particular umpires and players.
Umpire Jim Wolf is not allowed to work home plate in any game where his brother, Randy, currently with Milwaukee, is pitching. Jim Wolf can umpire games in which Randy's team is playing.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay comments
- Obama's own panel rips NSA spying on phone calls of Americans
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- President gets budget win -- but only by staying out of negotiations
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson: Gays 'wont inherit the kingdom of God'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Lists of top ten movies, songs, funny moments, fashion statements, automobiles, children's names, stupid celebrity moments, first dates, last dates, weddings, and much, much more.
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow