- - Thursday, June 2, 2011

ARIZONA

Police: Suspect in fatal shootings killed himself

YUMA — Authorities have identified the man suspected of fatally shooting five people and wounding one other in southwest Arizona, and they say he has killed himself.

Yuma police say the shooter was Carey Hal Dyess, 73, of Yuma. They say Yuma County sheriff’s deputies found Dyess dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The shootings happened Thursday morning. One person was killed in the downtown Yuma area, while the other four were killed in Yuma County. The wounded person was flown to a Phoenix-area hospital.

Police say an investigation determined the shootings were linked.

Authorities have not released the victims’ names, but say the person killed within city limits was an adult male. They say Dyess entered a business and shot him.

ARKANSAS

Conviction in murder of TV anchor upheld

LITTLE ROCK — The Arkansas Supreme Court on Thursday rejected an appeal by a man convicted of killing a Little Rock television anchorwoman, saying that genetic evidence used to link him to the crime was not obtained illegally and that jurors weren’t unfairly influenced by seeing him in prison garb.

Curtis Vance was convicted of capital murder, rape, burglary and theft in the October 2008 death of KATV anchor Anne Pressly in her Little Rock home. Miss Pressly, who hosted the station’s “Daybreak” program, died five days after the attack, which was so brutal that it left the 26-year-old’s face shattered and unrecognizable.

The state pursued the death penalty, but instead, jurors recommended Vance spend the rest of his life in prison with no chance of parole.

CALIFORNIA

Children of suspect held in trash-can body case

ONTARIO — Police have arrested the son and daughter of a Southern California woman who was charged with murder after she was seen hauling a trash can containing body parts down a neighborhood street.

Daniel Ortiz, 25, and Chanel Alicia Ortiz, 26, both of Riverside, were stopped in Rancho Cucamonga and arrested Wednesday on suspicion of helping their mother dispose of the remains of her ex-boyfriend, according to Ontario police.

Investigators were trying to determine whether they might have been involved in the killing, Detective Jeff Crittenden said.

Carmen Montenegro, 51, pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to a charge of first-degree murder.

Miss Montenegro remained jailed Thursday on $1 million bail. Her children also remained jailed.

A state official said investigators have surveillance video showing Miss Montenegro using credit and ATM cards belonging to the victim, Samuel Wiggins Jr., after he disappeared on April 20, said David Hidalgo, supervisor of the San Bernardino County district attorney’s family-violence unit. Miss Montenegro also used the 63-year-old Wiggins’ car in the days after his disappearance, he said.

Miss Montenegro also told police that she had been sexually abused, and authorities are also considering that as a possible motive, Mr. Hidalgo said.

GEORGIA

CDC: More have HIV as treatment prolongs lives

ATLANTA — New government statistics show about 1.1 million Americans were living with the AIDS virus in 2008, an increase of about 71,000 from 2006.

An increase was expected because people with HIV are living longer and healthier lives thanks to treatment.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released the numbers Thursday in a publication called Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

More than half of new HIV infections are in gay and bisexual men. The CDC released a second study, of gay and bisexual men in 21 U.S. cities, that found 61 percent said they were tested for HIV in the previous year. Seven percent were found to be newly infected. Other studies say that overall, about 10 percent to 20 percent of U.S. adults are tested annually.

NEW YORK

Former Madoff associate to plead guilty in fraud

NEW YORK — A man said to be a member of Bernard Madoff’s “inner circle” has agreed to plead guilty to helping the swindler cook the books, federal prosecutors said in a letter made public Thursday.

Eric Lipkin, a second-generation Madoff employee who worked at his secretive investment advisory business for 16 years, will appear in court Monday to admit his role in the epic fraud, prosecutors said in a letter to U.S. District Judge Laura Taylor Swain.

The letter said Mr. Lipkin would plead guilty to a six-count criminal complaint that will be submitted to the court Monday and will include charges of conspiracy, bank fraud and falsifying various financial records. Mr. Lipkin is entering the plea as part of a cooperation agreement with prosecutors, but the letter did not specify what sort of assistance he has been asked to provide.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide