- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Queen of Soul fractures toe on designer shoe heel
Question of the Day
DETROIT (AP) - A misstep on the spiked heel of one of her favorite Jimmy Choo designer shoes left the Queen of Soul in a hospital boot with a fractured toe on her left foot.
Aretha Franklin performed Thursday at the home of a Dallas “oil baron” and was packing her clothing later in a hotel room when she stepped on the shoe, causing the heel to “wrap” around the toe, spokeswoman Tracey Jordan told The Associated Press Tuesday.
“She went to sleep and in the morning it was still hurting and throbbing,” Jordan said.
But Franklin had to hit the road for a performance Saturday in Greenwich, Conn.
“They were driving up Friday and it started really hurting so they made a pit stop,” Jordan said.
X-rays taken at an Indianapolis hospital revealed the fracture.
“She said `Thank God it wasn’t my pedal foot for the piano!’” Jordan said.
The Grammy-winning songstress plays the piano during her performances, using her right foot on the instrument’s pedals.
Wearing a blue, plastic hospital boot _ with a wooden sole, Franklin performed Saturday in Greenwich and is scheduled to appear Tuesday night at the Wolf Trap near Vienna, Va.
“She wears a designer shoe on the other foot,” Jordan said. “She’s standin g and dancing. She’s wearing gowns and you can’t really see her feet until she sits at the piano.”
She often receives requests to perform at private parties, said Jordan, who declined to release the name of the Dallas man.
“This was a very touching party,” she said. “The oil baron … his wife passed away a year ago. Her favorite singer was Aretha Franklin. He had a party to celebrate her life.”
The 69-year-old music legend underwent surgery in early December in Detroit for an undisclosed ailment. Since then, she lost more than 80 pounds, which Franklin attributed to a change in diet and exercise.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors