- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
LAMBRO: Obama could sink with capsizing economy
Boasting business background, Romney best positioned to capitalize
Question of the Day
Meantime, a little more than six months before the 2012 election year begins, the economy looms as Mr. Obama’s potential Waterloo.
The economic recovery, if there ever was one, is clearly losing ground. Punishing 9 percent to 10 percent unemployment rates show no sign of any significant decline this year or next, and one poll finds that 80 percent of recent college graduates are unable to find work. The stock market is tanking and with it, tens of millions of pension plans. Home sales continue to plunge along with home values.
If all this weren’t enough, CBO says that under Obamacare, “an aging population and rapidly rising health care costs will sharply increase federal spending for health care programs and Social Security,” causing “federal debt to grow to unsustainable levels.”
Donald Lambro is a syndicated columnist and former chief political correspondent for The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Get Breaking Alerts
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- MILLER: Obamacare enrollees include 101 members of the House of Representatives
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Federal deficit shrinks 20 percent in fiscal 2014
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House