- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
Hawks draft Oakland C Keith Benson with 48th pick
“I’m looking forward to playing with Al Horford,” Benson said. “He’s developed into one of the really good bigs in this league. I’ve always liked watching Joe Johnson. They’re an athletic team. I think I can contribute to that.”
“I think I have the frame to put on a lot of weight, and my game will really increase once I put on that weight and some strength and things like that,” Benson said. “I think I can put on 20 or more pounds.”
Atlanta, which is coming off a second-round playoff loss to Chicago, was seeking low-post offense to take some of the front-line scoring responsibilities off Horford.
Sund declined to say whether he tried to trade forward Josh Smith in an effort to move high into the first round.
Smith, a talented but inconsistent power forward, was the subject of speculation in an allegedly proposed deal to Minnesota for the No. 2 overall pick.
Benson was named the 2011 Summit League top player and defensive player of the year. His senior of 17.9 points and 10.1 rebounds helped his Rochester, Mich.-based school play well enough to advance to the NCAA tournament.
Oakland lost to Texas in the first round.
“Going into the draft and looking at the free agency market, certainly if we’re going to be one of the top teams in the East, we’ve got to get better defensively,” Drew said. “What better way to get better than to bring in a shot blocker? He has the length and he has the awareness to block shots, so we’re very happy with the selection.”
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014