- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
Hawks draft Oakland C Keith Benson with 48th pick
“I’m looking forward to playing with Al Horford,” Benson said. “He’s developed into one of the really good bigs in this league. I’ve always liked watching Joe Johnson. They’re an athletic team. I think I can contribute to that.”
“I think I have the frame to put on a lot of weight, and my game will really increase once I put on that weight and some strength and things like that,” Benson said. “I think I can put on 20 or more pounds.”
Atlanta, which is coming off a second-round playoff loss to Chicago, was seeking low-post offense to take some of the front-line scoring responsibilities off Horford.
Sund declined to say whether he tried to trade forward Josh Smith in an effort to move high into the first round.
Smith, a talented but inconsistent power forward, was the subject of speculation in an allegedly proposed deal to Minnesota for the No. 2 overall pick.
Benson was named the 2011 Summit League top player and defensive player of the year. His senior of 17.9 points and 10.1 rebounds helped his Rochester, Mich.-based school play well enough to advance to the NCAA tournament.
Oakland lost to Texas in the first round.
“Going into the draft and looking at the free agency market, certainly if we’re going to be one of the top teams in the East, we’ve got to get better defensively,” Drew said. “What better way to get better than to bring in a shot blocker? He has the length and he has the awareness to block shots, so we’re very happy with the selection.”
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Kirsten Dunst: Actress sparks feminist ire: 'You need a man to be a man'
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes