- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Blackhawks trade Campbell to Panthers for Olesz
The deal was finalized late Friday, after the first round of the NHL draft.
The 32-year-old Campbell had 19 goals and 38 assists over three seasons with the Blackhawks.
He was the third-highest paid player on the team last season at $7.142 million behind Duncan Keith and Marian Hossa. Campbell just completing the third year of an eight-year contract that will pay him more than $56 million. He had five goals and 22 assists in 65 games last season, averaging nearly 23 minutes per game.
The 25-year-old Olesz was the seventh overall pick by the Panthers in the 2004 draft. The native of the Czech Republic had six goals and 11 assists in 44 games last season, completing the third of a six-year contract that pays him $18.75 million.
The Blackhawks had a busy day. They traded left wing Troy Brouwer to the Washington Capitals for the 26th pick in the first round, giving them two selections.
“We’re fortunate in our organization that we’ve got a lot of young players who we need to find spots for,” general manager Stan Bowman said, adding: “We’re excited that we added a first-round pick. It’s not easy to do that these days the way those are valued around the league.”
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again