- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If gay ‘marriage,’ why not polygamy, incest?
Question of the Day
On Friday, the New York Senate made same-sex “marriage” legal (“Gay parade marks win for marriage rights in N.Y.,” Web, News, Politics, Sunday). Key to its passage was a religious-exemptions amendment that permits, among other things, Catholic Charities to continue to refuse adoption services to same-sex couples and still receive financial support from the state.
The amendment was is in large part a reaction to what happened in Massachusetts, where state support to Catholic Charities was denied after same-sex “marriage” became legal there in 2003. Rather than comply with the new state law, the church got out of the adoption business.
The logical disconnect of New York lawmakers is obvious: If the state no longer discriminates against same-sex couples, how will the state justify funding organizations that continue to do so? It’s a slam-dunk case for any civil rights advocate willing to ingratiate himself to the liberal press.
As for the definition of marriage, there is no reason now why it should not be extended to incest and polygamy. Whatever basis, legal or moral, forbade incestuous or polygamous relations in the past has been broken in the name of “equality.”
Glen Burnie, Md.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Obama pressed on Sudanese mother's case, facing death sentence over Christian faith
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
- Family removed from Southwest flight over tweet about rude agent, dad says