- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If gay ‘marriage,’ why not polygamy, incest?
Question of the Day
On Friday, the New York Senate made same-sex "marriage" legal ("Gay parade marks win for marriage rights in N.Y.," Web, News, Politics, Sunday). Key to its passage was a religious-exemptions amendment that permits, among other things, Catholic Charities to continue to refuse adoption services to same-sex couples and still receive financial support from the state.
The amendment was is in large part a reaction to what happened in Massachusetts, where state support to Catholic Charities was denied after same-sex "marriage" became legal there in 2003. Rather than comply with the new state law, the church got out of the adoption business.
The logical disconnect of New York lawmakers is obvious: If the state no longer discriminates against same-sex couples, how will the state justify funding organizations that continue to do so? It's a slam-dunk case for any civil rights advocate willing to ingratiate himself to the liberal press.
As for the definition of marriage, there is no reason now why it should not be extended to incest and polygamy. Whatever basis, legal or moral, forbade incestuous or polygamous relations in the past has been broken in the name of "equality."
Glen Burnie, Md.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By John McAfee
Get Breaking Alerts
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.