- Malaysia Airlines pilots sometimes left cockpit door unlocked: U.S. businessman
- PHILLIPS: The benefits of defying ‘common wisdom’
- Judge strikes down Arkansas abortion law — nation’s toughest — as unconstitutional
- Court: Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages
- Russia claims to have downed U.S. drone over Crimea region; Pentagon denies
- John Daly shoots 90 at PGA Tour event: ‘I’m falling apart’
- Police: Man arrested in West Virginia may be linked to Alexandria killings
- Smile: Equipping cops with body-mounted cameras gains steam in Calif., N.Y.
- Obama to sign bill cutting taxpayer money for party conventions
- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
Woman dies in Arlington parking garage fire
A 74-year-old Annandale woman was found dead Wednesday inside a burned car in an underground parking garage after she hit a wall and broke a natural gas line, causing a fire.
Arlington County police said Adele Lapinell was found at 8:30 a.m. in the 900 block of North Stafford Street when the fire department responded to a report of smoke coming from the building, Arlington police spokeswoman Detective Crystal Nosal said.
A preliminary investigation indicated the woman drove into a protective barrier around a natural gas line. Ms. Lapinell did not hit the gas line, but the collision with the barrier caused the car to catch fire.
Ms. Lapinell was the only person in the vehicle and detectives are treating the cause of the accident as a "medical issue," Detective Nosal said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Some forgo parties, recall heritage on St. Patrick's Day
- Christ in the City puts Pope Francis' vision at work on Denver streets
- New group aims to conduct census of Muslim Americans
- Three Gulf countries sink 'Noah' before movie's launch
- Lenten season marks big business for seafood sector
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David A. Clarke Jr.
Blame Washington's intelligence failure, not lack of police
- CURL: We completely overhauled American health care to insure 4.2 million people?
- California gun store owner refuses to hand over customer list
- Bill Maher: God a 'psychotic mass murderer' who 'drowns babies'
- Firefighters discover church's Bible in Harlem rubble following gas explosion
- Crimea votes in favor of secession, U.S. rejects
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Trust me: Obama promises new overtime rules will be 'easier for everyone'
- McCaul offers scenario where missing Malaysian jet lands in hostile country to be use as missile
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014