A 74-year-old Annandale woman was found dead Wednesday inside a burned car in an underground parking garage after she hit a wall and broke a natural gas line, causing a fire.
Arlington County police said Adele Lapinell was found at 8:30 a.m. in the 900 block of North Stafford Street when the fire department responded to a report of smoke coming from the building, Arlington police spokeswoman Detective Crystal Nosal said.
A preliminary investigation indicated the woman drove into a protective barrier around a natural gas line. Ms. Lapinell did not hit the gas line, but the collision with the barrier caused the car to catch fire.
Ms. Lapinell was the only person in the vehicle and detectives are treating the cause of the accident as a "medical issue," Detective Nosal said.
© Copyright 2015 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.