- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Red Sox’ Matsuzaka says elbow surgery only option
Question of the Day
BOSTON (AP) - Red Sox pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka is preparing for surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right elbow.
Matsuzaka spoke Sunday for the first time since the Red Sox placed him on the 60-day disabled list so he can have Tommy John surgery, likely this week.
“It’s my first time to get an operation and all I can say is I’m very shocked when it comes to this result,” Matsuzaka said through an interpreter. “I was told the ligament is torn and to fix it perfectly I need to have surgery.”
Matsuzaka is in the fifth year of a six-year deal he signed when Boston brought him over from Japan. With a recovery time of 12 to 14 months, his future with the Red Sox is uncertain.
“I don’t think of it that way. I hope I come back to the game again in a Red Sox uniform,” he said.
Matsuzaka went 18-3 with a 2.90 ERA in his first season with the Red Sox, who paid $51.1 million for negotiating rights to the Seibu Lions before signing him to a $52 million deal.
The $103 million “Dice-K” investment has had mixed results. After going 31-15 with a 3.72 ERA in his first two seasons, Matsuzaka was 16-15 with a 5.03 ERA the past three years and had four stints on the disabled list.
In eight appearances this year, including seven starts, he is 3-3 with a 5.30 ERA. In his career with Boston, he is 49-30 with a 4.25 ERA.
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up
- Obama vows veto of House border bill
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors