Continued from page 1

Mr. Ibrahim said the barracks likely hit Tuesday have been repeated targets of NATO. Reporters saw that other strikes smashed and destroyed buildings inside the Gadhafi compound. They also saw the body of one man under the rubble.

“Instead of talking to us, they are bombing us. They are going mad. They are losing their heads,” Mr. Ibrahim said.

The spokesman said the daylight strikes were particularly terrifying because families were separated during the day. Libyan children are taking final exams at the end of the school year.

“Tens of thousands of children are in Tripoli. You can imagine the shock and horror of the children. You can imagine the horror of parents who can’t check on their children who are far away,” Mr. Ibrahim said.

NATO strikes before dawn Monday targeted a building of the state-run Libyan television station, he said, reporting that 16 people were injured. The building was only partially destroyed, and Libyan television is still broadcasting.

As NATO intensifies air attacks on Tripoli, there appears to be renewed diplomatic efforts to find a peaceful end to the civil war.

A U.N. envoy was expected in the country Tuesday. Mr. Ibrahim would not say who envoy Abdul-Elah al-Khatib would meet or how long he would stay.

So far, diplomacy has failed, given that rebels are demanding Col. Gadhafi leave power. The dictator steadfastly refuses to cede power.

Also Tuesday, Tripoli dispatched Foreign Minister Abdul-Ati al-Obeidi to Beijing for a three days of talks, an apparent effort to restore some of Libyan government influence and defuse a setback delivered by China last week. Chinese officials announced on Friday that they had reached out to the rebel forces challenging Col. Gadhafi, a significant effort to boost Chinese engagement in the Libya conflict and possibly jostle for a mediator role.

Beijing had stayed on the sidelines for the first few months since the revolt against Col. Gadhafi’s government erupted in mid-February, pointedly avoiding joining international calls for Col. Gadhafi to step down and saying that is for the Libyan people to decide. China also abstained in the U.N. Security Council vote authorizing the use of force against Libyan government loyalists and repeatedly has criticized the NATO bombing campaign in support of the rebels.

But last week, Beijing said the head of Libya’s rebel council met with China’s ambassador to Qatar in Doha in what was the first known contact between the two sides. China’s decision to engage the rebels was a diplomatic setback for Mr. Gadhafi.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told reporters at a regular briefing Tuesday that talks with Mr. al-Obeidi would focus on the need for a political solution to the Libyan crisis.

He also reiterated China’s appeals for an immediate cease-fire and called on all parties to “fully consider the mediation proposals put forward by the international community so as to defuse the tensions as soon as possible.”

In Benghazi on Tuesday, a Russian delegation met with the rebel’s National Transitional Council, which controls the city and eastern Libya.

Mikhail Margelov, Russia’s special representative for Africa, said that Col. Gadhafi had lost his legitimacy but that NATO airstrikes were not a solution to the stalemate in Libya.

Story Continues →