- Associated Press - Thursday, June 9, 2011

SEATTLE — The 20-year-old who gained a popular following as the “Barefoot Bandit” pleaded not guilty to all charges Thursday in federal court.

Colton Harris-Moore is accused of a two-year, cross-country burglary spree in stolen cars, boats and planes — some of the crimes purportedly committed while he was barefoot.

His attorney, John Henry Browne, and Assistant U.S. Attorney Darwin Roberts previously said in court they hoped to have a plea deal reached by the end of last month that would provide the framework for resolving state and federal charges.

Mr. Browne doesn’t dispute the allegations against his client. He has long maintained that Mr. Harris-Moore has no interest in profiting from the crimes but would be interested in selling his story if it meant his victims could be repaid.

Plea talks originally called for money from such deals being turned over to a court-appointed special master who would dole it out as restitution to victims. But in the past few days, prosecutors have said they’re reluctant to let Mr. Harris-Moore sell his story at all, Mr. Browne said.

Many of the losses sustained by burglary or theft victims were covered by insurance companies, which could be in line for a share of publicity deal proceeds.

A new indictment returned last month added a bank burglary charge to the already lengthy list of federal charges against Mr. Harris-Moore, including interstate transportation of a stolen plane, gun and boat; being a fugitive in possession of a firearm; and piloting an aircraft without a valid airman’s certificate.

The new indictment also includes language requiring Mr. Harris-Moore to forfeit “any and all intellectual property or other proprietary rights belonging to the defendant” based on his publication or dissemination of his tale.

The federal charges stem from a spate of crimes in late 2009 and early 2010, when Mr. Harris-Moore is accused of flying a stolen plane from Anacortes, in northwestern Washington, to the San Juan Islands. He then is said to have stolen a pistol in eastern British Columbia and took a plane from a hangar in Idaho, where authorities found bare footprints on the floor and wall. That plane crashed near Granite Falls, Wash., after it ran out of fuel, prosecutors say.

He made his way to Oregon in a 32-foot boat stolen in southwestern Washington, stopping first to leave $100 at an animal shelter in Raymond, Wash.

From Oregon, authorities said, Mr. Harris-Moore hopscotched his way across the United States, frequently stealing cars from the parking lots of small airports, until he made it to Indiana, where he stole another plane and made for the Bahamas. He was captured by Bahamian police at gunpoint in a stolen boat.

In all, Mr. Harris-Moore is suspected of more than 70 crimes across nine states.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide