- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Young Reaganites coming of age
Question of the Day
In a recent letter, a reader lamented, “How sad that there may never be another Ronald Reagan come our way again.” My response: Hold on, we’re coming.
I grew up during the Reagan years. He was my political idol as I formed my own opinions. In 1990, my high school term paper protested the left’s glorification of Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev and was titled “Ronald Reagan: The real man of the decade.”
I just turned 38, so I’m barely eligible to run for president, but mine is the generation that grew up as Reagan conservatives - advocates of small government who think, as the Gipper did, that “government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem.” We believe in a strong national defense, traditional family values and the right to personal liberty.
My friend Todd Young was recently voted into Congress from Indiana’s 9th Congressional District. We are part of a rising tide of conservatism and fiscal responsibility. We are just too young to have reached the highest levels of government.
Just be patient. Maybe in 10 to 15 years from now, this country will have another President Reagan, molded by the original rugged individual himself.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Craigslist killers: Police say newlyweds stabbed man for thrills
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple