- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
- Kermit Gosnell clinic aide who heard aborted baby scream gets 5 to 10 years in prison
- Iraq mulls law to let men marry 8-year-old girls
- Russia sends bombers on 24-hour Arctic patrol
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick’s parade that won’t allow gays
- Houston dad kills boy, 17, in daughter’s room in mistaken ID tragedy
- Rep. David Jolly ready to work with Democrats on compromise
- Joe Biden: I can’t be president — my golf would suffer
- German authorities grab suspected hardline Islamist
- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
NFL receivers going back to Arena Football League
Unable to work out at their NFL team’s facilities, Bergeron this week signed with the AFL’s Cleveland Gladiators and Windsor joined the Arizona Rattlers. Both are former AFL rookie of the year award winners.
Players were permitted to sign with another league after the NFL lockout began last weekend. Bergeron and Windsor are still under contract with their respective NFL teams, who still own their NFL rights.
“We assumed there would be players that would join the AFL. We are not sure how big the influx will be,” AFL Commissioner Jerry B. Kurz said. “We are confident that the NFL issues will be resolved and they will play this season. We work well in conjunction with the NFL and they have supported us and our players greatly.”
With the Rattlers last season, Windsor was the league’s rookie of the year after 193 catches for 2,372 yards and 47 touchdowns. Bergeron played for the AFL’s Georgia Force in 2005, 2007 and 2008. He was the league’s rookie of the league in 2005.
The 18-team AFL kicked off its 24th season last weekend. The season ends Aug. 12 with the ArenaBowl.
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Sam Adams beer brewer nixes St. Patrick's parade that won't allow gays
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- BRUCE: The power of bossy
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014