- Number-crunchers put GOP chances of retaking Senate at 60 percent: report
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
- Fla. voters’ support for medical marijuana bodes well for ballot measure: poll
- Keith Urban concert ends in ‘nutso’ chaos, with dozens arrested, injured
- Very religious still lean toward GOP, reflecting long-term patterns, Gallup poll shows
- Fist bump becoming all the rage for germ-wary handshakers
- Tennessee storms ravage counties, wreck 10 homes
- Chinese police tear down church cross in religion crackdown
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: ‘Obama, Obama, where are you?’
- Maine police find wife, husband, 3 children dead in home
Report blames workout for injuries to Iowa players
Question of the Day
Athletic Director Gary Barta said he will move forward with the committee’s recommendations.
“Many of the things recommended are already things being recommended or we’re going through,” he said. “Everything is rational and makes sense.”
Hines said the incident with the Hawkeye football players is “clearly a wake-up call not only for Iowa but the entire country.” He said the awareness that’s been created by the Iowa players’ injuries will help prevent future incidents elsewhere.
“The word is out that some of these things can cross the line before you’re aware of it,” Hines said.
Barta said it’s critical to find a balance between being competitive and safe.
“We have to make sure we’re educating ourselves and our athletes,” he said. “You can still be a tough guy and be safe.”
He said it’s important to find those limitations and encourage athletes who are injured to step forward. All 13 players injured in January have been cleared for training and competition, he said.
The parents and guardians of the players have been sent a letter and a copy of the report.
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- '50 Shades' movie trailer outrages anti-porn groups
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq