- - Thursday, March 24, 2011

Chris Brown apologizes but blames ‘GMA’

Chris Brown has apologized for his destructive tantrum on “Good Morning America” earlier this week, Associated Press reports. He explained he was surprised that his 2009 attack on then-girlfriend Rihanna was brought up during his interview and said he needed to “let out steam” after getting upset.

“I didn’t physically hurt anyone; I didn’t try to hurt anyone. I just wanted to release the anger that I had inside of me because I felt like I worked so hard for this music and I love my fans and I love to be able to make positive music, but I felt like people kept just trying to take it away from me,” he told the audience on BET’s “106 & Park” Wednesday evening.

ABC News said the 21-year-old singer smashed a window in his dressing room Tuesday after he was interviewed by “GMA” co-host Robin Roberts on the show. Mr. Brown was promoting his new album, “F.A.M.E.,” out this week, but during the interview before his scheduled performance on the morning show, Miss Roberts touched on his beating of Rihanna.

“I kind of kept my composure throughout the whole interview. Although you could see me upset, I kept my composure, did my performance,” Mr. Brown said. “When I got back I just let out steam in the back.”

Mr. Brown said that the show had sent his team a list of “talking points” for the interview, and that it was his understanding that the focus would be about the album.

“As the interview proceeded, it was kind of thrown off,” he said. “I felt like they told us this so they could get us on the show to exploit me, that’s what I thought. So, I took it very, very hard.”

Miss Roberts and ABC News, however, said Mr. Brown was aware of the direction of the interview.

Chris Brown was invited on ‘Good Morning America’ to perform and to be interviewed. There were no talking points offered,” ABC News said in a statement.

Mr. Brown offered his apology to “anybody who was startled in the office, anybody who was offended or really … disappointed in my actions, because I was disappointed in the way I acted.”

Mr. Brown said he was now trying to focus on the positive, and asked his fans not to send any threats to Miss Roberts.

“We don’t need that,” Mr. Brown said. “We need to take a stand and be more positive.”

For her part, Miss Roberts was ready to turn the page on the episode as well.

“It’s time to move on. … we wish him the absolute best.”

Depp to appear on Gervais sitcom

He was the butt of some controversial sparring at January’s Golden Globes telecast for his role in “The Tourist,” but Johnny Depp doesn’t seem to have taken Ricky Gervais’ high-profile ribbing to heart, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

The star of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise will appear in Mr. Gervais’ upcoming BBC2 sitcom “Life’s Too Short,” according to a post on Mr. Gervais’ blog.

Mr. Depp will guest star in the comedy, which is expected to have a host of big-name cameo spots, though Mr. Gervais used his This Side of the Truth blog to dismiss rumors that Jerry Seinfeld also would make a guest appearance.

“The Depp bit is true. The Seinfeld isn’t,” he wrote.

“Life’s Too Short,” which is being co-written by Mr. Gervais’ longtime creative partner Stephen Merchant, will air on HBO as well as BBC2. It features the continuing adventures of diminutive star Warwick Davis, who plays an egomaniacal dwarf who runs a talent agency for other dwarves.

Meanwhile, Mr. Gervais used his blog to confirm that he and Will Arnett will guest-star in the hour-long season finale of “The Office” scheduled to air May 19 on NBC.

‘Days’ actors to roll up sleeves in New Orleans

Actors from “Days of Our Lives” are helping to rebuild homes for families still displaced by Hurricane Katrina, Associated Press notes.

On Wednesday, the cast of the soap opera, which has been on the air for 45 years, will welcome a New Orleans family as they move into a new home and provide furniture for them. On Thursday, the cast members will help rebuild another home and raise money for its construction.

Actors James Reynolds, Kristian Alfonso, Peter Reckell, Joe Mascolo and former cast member Deidre Hall are among the stars on tour promoting the show’s book, “Days of Our Lives 45 Years: A Celebration in Photos.”

Since Katrina hit in 2005, the St. Bernard Project has rebuilt homes for more than 350 families with the help of more than 32,000 volunteers.

Tow-truck driver faces murder charges

Wreck chasing in Philadelphia will move from reality TV to a murder trial after a judge on Tuesday held a tow-truck driver on charges he fatally mowed down a rival in a videotaped turf dispute.

Glen McDaniel and Ray Santiago worked for competing companies and found themselves at the same busy intersection on Sept. 26. After the pair locked horns in a fist fight, Mr. McDaniel hopped in his tow truck and ran over Santiago several times, resting his vehicle on the man the third time, authorities said.

“The third time, he locked his brakes over him and then drove off,” Assistant District Attorney James F. Berardinelli said.

The 26-year-old Mr. McDaniel was held on murder charges Tuesday in the North Philadelphia slaying. Public defender Andrea Konow declined to comment on the case.

A security videotape played at the preliminary hearing shows the 30-year-old Santiago being run over repeatedly as witnesses stand nearby. One witness testified about the ongoing “bad blood” between the companies.

The tow-truck business is serious in Philadelphia, where the cable TV show “Wreck Chasers” was being filmed amid escalating competition — and violence — last year.

Officially, police try to rotate accident calls from a list of approved tow companies. But tow operators often thwart that plan by racing to accident scenes before police to sign up frazzled drivers and take their vehicles to favored auto body shops. City council members have complained that tow operators get kickbacks from the repair shops, and car owners are left to pay small fortunes to get their vehicles back.

‘American Idol’ finalist gives Lopez ‘goose bumps’

“American Idol” finalist Naima Adedapo was on the move.

The funky 26-year-old dance instructor from Milwaukee injected African dance choreography into her lively rendition of Martha and the Vandellas’ “Dancing in the Street” during the Fox talent competition’s Motown-themed performance edition Wednesday. “Idol” judge Jennifer Lopez told Miss Adedapo that her routine gave her the “first little goose bumps of the night.”

Other singers who impressed the panel included unemployed 22-year-old rocker James Durbin of Santa Cruz, Calif., and 23-year-old spa concierge Jacob Lusk of Compton, Calif. Mr. Durbin wailed Stevie Wonder’s “Living for the City,” while Mr. Lusk belted out Marvin Gaye’s “You’re All I Need to Get By,” which prompted Steven Tyler to rise from the panel for a hug.

“You know what was wrong with that performance?” asked Randy Jackson. “Absolutely nothing.”

Some singers continued to misstep. Miss Lopez again criticized the intensity of Stefano Langone, the unemployed 21-year-old singer from Kent, Wash., who crooned Lionel Richie’s “Hello,” and Mr. Jackson told Pia Toscano, the 22-year-old make-up artist from Howard Beach, N.Y., that he didn’t want another ballad from her following Stevie Wonder’s “All in Love is Fair.”

One of the top 11 singers will face elimination Thursday.

Compiled from web and wire reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide