- Church of England allows female bishops
- Obama slammed by black Chicago residents: ‘Worst president ever’
- WHO urges healthy gay men to take HIV prevention drugs, cites ‘exploding epidemics’
- Ukraine: Military plane shot down by rocket
- Ebola crisis in West Africa deepens; 500+ dead
- Propaganda song popular among Central Americans was devised by U.S. Border Patrol
- Sen. Rob Portman: Math is on GOP’s side to win Senate this fall
- Four-time deportee arrested for molesting 9-year-old Texas girl
- Private investigators turn to drones to catch marital cheaters, insurance liars
- Sleep issues can accelerate Alzheimer’s, while mental exercises can delay it, study shows
Cut by Cubs, RHP Braden Looper decides to retire
Question of the Day
The 36-year-old pitcher was in camp as a non-roster player, trying to make a comeback after sitting out last season. The Cubs informed him Friday that he would not make the team out of spring training, so Looper decided to retire.
“After taking a year off, he came in and gave it a good shot,” Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. “We just felt in the end he wasn’t going to be able to break with the 12 (pitchers). He certainly had an outstanding career. We felt it was a good, sound idea. I’m glad we did it. He handled himself like a true professional and was very helpful to the young pitchers in camp and was very appreciative of the opportunity and certainly understood why he could not break with the 12.”
Looper did not pitch last season after going 14-7 with a 5.22 ERA in 2009 for the Milwaukee Brewers. He made his major league debut with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1998.
The right-hander, drafted No. 3 overall by St. Louis in 1996, spent the first nine seasons of his big league career as a reliever before working as a starter from 2007-09. He finished 72-65 with a 4.15 ERA and 103 saves.
In addition to St. Louis and Milwaukee, Looper also pitched for the New York Mets and Florida Marlins. He saved a career-high 29 games for the Mets in 2004.
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi formerly a U.S. captive
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- EDITORIAL: The faux farmer in the Senate race in Iowa
- Sen. John McCain on illegal child immigrants: Fly them home, now
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- Eric Holder: 'Racial animus' fuels opposition to Obama and me
- Rand Paul to Rick Perry on Iraq: Get some new glasses
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs