- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Japan nuclear crisis highlights U.S. problems
All that recent events in Japan have reaffirmed is that we must secure our own energy needs (“Nuclear plant locations across U.S. under review,” Politics, March 21).
No insurance company or any other organization has the resources to cover the costs resulting from a lack of appropriate action and planning. In all nuclear crises to date, available knowledge and proper attention to detail were slighted. We should immediately replace our unreliable and unscientific wind farms with efficient devices we know how to make. General Electric is not the only nuclear energy player around. Take a look at what Bechtel Corp. has done for Southern California Edison, for example, or the U.S. Navy’s operation of nuclear submarines. Allowing our current nuclear reactors to rust into the ground isn’t going to solve our energy problems.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- Snow storm sucker punch: U.S. hit by winter wave
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- KEENE: Nelson Mandela's legacy