You are currently viewing the printable version of this article, to return to the normal page, please click here.

Cubs cut RHP Carlos Silva, owed $11.5 million

- Associated Press - Saturday, March 26, 2011

SURPRISE, ARIZ. (AP) - Chicago Cubs right-hander Carlos Silva has been told he will not be on the team's 25-man roster when the season starts Friday.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry announced Saturday that Andrew Cashner will be the club's fifth starter, leaving Silva without a spot. Hendry said Silva would be offered a minor league assignment, but Silva said there was "no chance" he would report to Triple-A Iowa.

If Silva opts to be released, the Cubs are on the hook for his $11.5 million salary this season.

Silva was 1-2 with a 10.90 ERA in five appearances this spring after going 10-6 with a 4.22 ERA in 21 starts last year in his first season with the Cubs.

Cashner started Saturday's game against the Texas Rangers.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.