- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
Timbers beat Chivas USA 2-0 in US Open Cup play-in
PORTLAND, ORE. (AP) - Jack Jewsbury and Eric Brunner scored in the final six minutes to give Portland a 2-0 win over 10-man Chivas USA in a U.S. Open Cup play-in game Tuesday night.
Jewsbury struck from 35 yards out in the 84th minute to break up a scoreless tie. Three minutes later, Brunner beat Chivas keeper Dan Kennedy with a close-range shot for the Timbers’ second goal.
The Timbers will play the San Jose Earthquakes in the quarterfinals of qualifying for the U.S. Open Cup, the tournament for clubs from all levels of United States soccer.
Jewsbury’s goal came on a counterattack when Timbers goalkeeper Jake Gleeson stopped an attempt by Chivas forward Justin Braun outside the penalty box. The ball was quickly advanced to Jewsbury, whose long ball beat Kennedy to the left side of the goal.
Portland dominated most of the first half, but the best scoring chance belonged to Chivas. Gleeson denied Marco Mondaini in a one-on-one situation 10 yards from the goal during the 34th minute.
Nevadans want to know whose hand at BLM is grabbing their land
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.