- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Earth observation satellite fails to reach orbit
Question of the Day
VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, CALIF. (AP) - NASA television is reporting that a rocket that blasted off carrying an Earth-observation satellite doesn’t have the velocity to reach orbit.
Vandenberg Air Force Base officials say the Taurus XL rocket carrying NASA’s Glory satellite lifted off about 2:10 a.m. PST Friday from the base.
But NASA launch commentator George Dillar said 15 minutes later that a payload fairing didn’t separate from the Glory spacecraft and consequently it doesn’t have the velocity to reach orbit.
He says says Launch Director Omar Baez has called for a contingency plan for the spacecraft. The status of the flight wasn’t immediately clear.
NASA officials declined comment when reached by The Associated Press, saying a press statement would be forthcoming.
Glory was launched on a three-year mission to analyze how airborne particles affect Earth’s climate. Besides monitoring particles in the atmosphere, it will also track solar radiation to determine the sun’s effect on climate change.
The $424 million mission is managed by the NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors