- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Joblessness high among young veterans
Question of the Day
I read “Jobless rates of minorities linked to illegals” (Politics, Wednesday) and wondered if our young veterans are also considered to be minorities. Barely 1 percent of our citizens are lining up to serve our country in military service, and they, too, are suffering high unemployment numbers.
For example, can my two unemployed sons be considered minorities? They signed up to serve this country, endured difficult training and served four combat deployments with the U.S. Marine Corps only to be turned down continually for every job for which they have applied - that is, if they even get called for an interview. In the past, when they have secured jobs, they often have gotten the boot on the 90th day of employment - when benefits normally go into effect. And the cycle begins all over again.
My veteran sons have been unemployed for two years. Are they minorities? I think they should be considered as such. We shouldn’t be so quick to assume that only a single segment of our population is suffering high unemployment numbers. Young adults who have served our country deserve better when they come home.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
Get Breaking Alerts
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Sebelius adds another Obamacare exemption
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House