World Scene

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

SOUTH KOREA

Reports: N. Korea behind GPS disruption in South

SEOUL | North Korea is responsible for the disruption of GPS signals in some part of South Korea’s capital region last week that caused malfunctions in mobile phones, media reports quoted officials as saying on Sunday.

Communications officials could not say whether the North was behind separate cyber-attacks on government websites, including that of the presidential Blue House and the Defense Ministry since Friday.

If the North were responsible for either of the incidents, it could mark an escalation of tension between the rivals already high from two attacks on South Korean territory last year and ensuing exchange of threats of war and retaliation.

North Korea was suspected of a massive wave of cyber-attacks on U.S. and South Korean government and corporate websites in 2009.

Signals intended to disrupt GPS and other wireless communications were detected originating in North Korea’s border cities of Kaesong and Haeju on Friday, Yonhap news agency quoted military officials as saying.

AFGHANISTAN

Karzai rejects apology for deaths

KABUL | Afghanistan’s president on Sunday rejected a U.S. apology for the mistaken killing of nine Afghan boys in a NATO air attack and said civilian casualties are no longer acceptable.

According to a statement from his office, Hamid Karzai told Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top commander of coalition forces in Afghanistan, that expressing regret was not sufficient in last week’s killing of the boys, ages 12 and under, by coalition helicopters.

“President Karzai said that only regret is not sufficient and also mentioned that civilian casualties during military operations by coalition forces is the main reason for tension in relations between Afghanistan and United States,” the statement said. “It is not acceptable for the Afghan people any more. Regrets and condemnations of the incident cannot heal the wounds of the people.”

NATO has also apologized for the mistaken killings of the nine boys, which occurred March 1 in the Pech valley area of Kunar province in eastern Afghanistan.

Lt. Gen. David M. Rodriguez, who directs day-to-day operations of coalition forces across Afghanistan, later issued a video statement of apology.

CUBA

Story Continues →

View Entire Story
Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks