- U.N. Human Rights head accuses Israel of war crimes
- CBP Commissioner: Border is ‘more secure and more safe’
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
Question of the Day
Reports: N. Korea behind GPS disruption in South
SEOUL | North Korea is responsible for the disruption of GPS signals in some part of South Korea’s capital region last week that caused malfunctions in mobile phones, media reports quoted officials as saying on Sunday.
Communications officials could not say whether the North was behind separate cyber-attacks on government websites, including that of the presidential Blue House and the Defense Ministry since Friday.
If the North were responsible for either of the incidents, it could mark an escalation of tension between the rivals already high from two attacks on South Korean territory last year and ensuing exchange of threats of war and retaliation.
North Korea was suspected of a massive wave of cyber-attacks on U.S. and South Korean government and corporate websites in 2009.
Signals intended to disrupt GPS and other wireless communications were detected originating in North Korea’s border cities of Kaesong and Haeju on Friday, Yonhap news agency quoted military officials as saying.
Karzai rejects apology for deaths
KABUL | Afghanistan’s president on Sunday rejected a U.S. apology for the mistaken killing of nine Afghan boys in a NATO air attack and said civilian casualties are no longer acceptable.
According to a statement from his office, Hamid Karzai told Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top commander of coalition forces in Afghanistan, that expressing regret was not sufficient in last week’s killing of the boys, ages 12 and under, by coalition helicopters.
“President Karzai said that only regret is not sufficient and also mentioned that civilian casualties during military operations by coalition forces is the main reason for tension in relations between Afghanistan and United States,” the statement said. “It is not acceptable for the Afghan people any more. Regrets and condemnations of the incident cannot heal the wounds of the people.”
NATO has also apologized for the mistaken killings of the nine boys, which occurred March 1 in the Pech valley area of Kunar province in eastern Afghanistan.
Lt. Gen. David M. Rodriguez, who directs day-to-day operations of coalition forces across Afghanistan, later issued a video statement of apology.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq