- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Angela Gheorghiu cancels Met Opera’s new `Faust’
Question of the Day
Director Jonathan Miller once dubbed Gheorghiu and Alagna opera’s “Bonnie and Clyde.”
The pair feuded with then-La Scala music director Riccardo Muti and left a production of “Pagliacci” he was conducting in Ravenna, Italy. They also canceled a planned engagement in Vienna because Gheorghiu saw the production on television and hated it.
In 1998, Met general manager Joe Volpe withdrew the couple’s contract to perform in a Franco Zeffirelli production of Verdi’s “La Traviata,” saying the couple wanted to approve the production’s concept and designs.
In an interview with The Associated Press nine years ago, Gheorghiu said she and Alagna were blamed for being difficult when they were just trying to maintain high standards.
“It’s our fault, all the time, whether it’s the director, the conductor or the opera singer,” she said.
(This version CORRECTS met season to 2011-12)
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
- HUSAIN: Worlds grand ayatollahs rally behind Sistani
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors