- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Prince Charles seems like forgotten man at wedding
He said the heir to the throne has no defined constitutional function but that Charles has used the position to champion organic farming, traditional architecture and environmental causes.
“The position of the heir to the throne is always difficult because you don’t have a role until your parent dies,” Cox said. “From his earliest years, he recognized he had the choice of either being just a figurehead, with no particular function, or to carve out a niche and do something worthwhile, and I would say Charles has actually been quite successful in combining his personal interests and making it into a role.”
Charles has been largely successful in persuading the British public to accept his marriage to Camilla, who in the aftermath of Diana’s 1997 car crash death was blamed by many for the royal breakup.
One of his tactics was to make it clear that Camilla would not take the title of “queen” even when he became king, a concession that mollified some of her critics who had wanted Diana to have that honor.
But Charles seemed to backtrack slightly in late November when he told an American television network that Camilla “could” become queen when he becomes king, a statement that made headlines throughout Britain.
The question of Camilla’s title really won’t be decided until events bring Charles to the throne.
He will be expected to provide the food and the wine and to make a heartfelt toast _ and then make himself scarce so the kids can have a good time.
It’s a role thousands of parents play at their children’s wedding receptions each year, and one Charles may find himself playing for some time to come.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again