- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
Suspect in East Coast rapes held on $1.5M bail
Question of the Day
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — The man suspected of terrorizing women with sexual assaults from Virginia to Rhode Island over 12 years asked, “Why haven’t you picked me up sooner?” when he was arrested last week, a prosecutor said Monday in court.
Aaron Thomas, 39, made his first court appearance in New Haven Superior Court in Connecticut, wearing sunglasses and a baseball cap. The man responsible for the attacks has been dubbed the “East Coast Rapist” by authorities.
Prosecutor David Strollo said Mr. Thomas, an unemployed truck driver, described himself as having “a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” personality regarding women. Mr. Strollo said Mr. Thomas made incriminating statements about his involvement in the rapes to a marshal.
Mr. Thomas‘ public defender, Joe Lopez, said he had attempted to waive his client’s appearance at the court hearing, which a judge denied. Mr. Lopez declined to comment afterward. Bail was set at $1.5 million.
Mr. Strollo said DNA from a cigarette that police saw Mr. Thomas discard after leaving a local court was used to confirm that Mr. Thomas was the man wanted in the attacks, which began in 1997. He said Mr. Thomas has lived in New Haven for about four years.
Mr. Thomas was arrested Friday on Connecticut charges of first-degree sexual assault and risk of injury to a minor. He tried to hang himself Saturday in his cell but was returned to jail after a brief hospital stay.
The East Coast Rapist is wanted for 17 rapes and other attacks in Connecticut, Maryland, Rhode Island and Virginia that began in 1997.
Authorities recently put up electronic billboards in the states where the attacks occurred and neighboring states, and they said a tip from Prince William County, Va., directed them to Mr. Thomas. Authorities in Prince William County are charging him with rape, abduction, being a fugitive and using of a firearm while committing a felony.
Mr. Thomas previously lived in Maryland and Virginia, according to public records.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world