- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Mariano Rivera throws 1st batting practice
Question of the Day
TAMPA, FLA. (AP) - Yankees closer Mariano Rivera has taken another step toward pitching in his first spring training game this year.
Rivera threw 35 pitches during his first batting practice session Wednesday. He didn’t rule out pitching on Sunday, while manager Joe Girardi said Sunday or next Wednesday would likely be the right-hander’s debut.
“It was good, very good,” Rivera said. “I threw my pitches. Tried to hit my spots.”
The 41-year-old has taken a slower approach recent years. He faced Ronnie Belliard, who has missed the past week with a calf injury, Justin Maxwell and Bradley Suttle in the BP session.
Rivera was 3-3 with a 1.80 ERA and 33 saves in 38 chances last season. The 11-time All-Star has 559 regular-season saves, second to Trevor Hoffman’s 601, and a record 42 in the postseason.
Jesus Montero, bidding for the backup catcher spot behind Russell Martin, caught Rivera.
Rivera agreed to a $30 million, two-year contract in December.
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq