- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
- Law firm that cleared N.J. Gov. Christie in ‘Bridgegate’ gave 10K to RGA, which he heads
Mariano Rivera throws 1st batting practice
TAMPA, FLA. (AP) - Yankees closer Mariano Rivera has taken another step toward pitching in his first spring training game this year.
Rivera threw 35 pitches during his first batting practice session Wednesday. He didn’t rule out pitching on Sunday, while manager Joe Girardi said Sunday or next Wednesday would likely be the right-hander’s debut.
“It was good, very good,” Rivera said. “I threw my pitches. Tried to hit my spots.”
The 41-year-old has taken a slower approach recent years. He faced Ronnie Belliard, who has missed the past week with a calf injury, Justin Maxwell and Bradley Suttle in the BP session.
Rivera was 3-3 with a 1.80 ERA and 33 saves in 38 chances last season. The 11-time All-Star has 559 regular-season saves, second to Trevor Hoffman’s 601, and a record 42 in the postseason.
Jesus Montero, bidding for the backup catcher spot behind Russell Martin, caught Rivera.
Rivera agreed to a $30 million, two-year contract in December.
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes 'your paycheck'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.