- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Ultralights drop drugs and fly away, never landing
Smugglers use unique entrance from Mexico
Ultralights initially flew as far north as the Phoenix area but they now generally stay within 30 miles of the border, said Matt Allen, special agent in charge of investigations for ICE in Arizona. Their small fuel tanks require pilots who fly far north to either refuel or take apart the aircraft and truck it back to Mexico.
Pilot Jesus Iriarte was arrested in October 2008 after landing an ultralight with 222 pounds of marijuana strapped to the frame in Marana, Ariz. — nearly 100 miles north of the border — and was sentenced to prison.
“Gone are the days when they could come deep into the U.S. undetected,” Mr. Allen said. “They really don’t want to be on the ground anymore. They’re dropping it and flying away. … It makes them less vulnerable.”
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.